Friday, November 11, 2011

Results?

     Well today marked 6 days since my biopsy of the skin lesion in my ear.  This also marked 6 days of worrying, little sleep, & feelings of despair.  So for the 3rd time I called the Dr. office to see if results where up yet.  The nurse on the line told me that if she told me results I would still have to come in for follow-up appointment & I agreed.  She then told me that it wasn't cancer of any type just age spot or human barnacle if I may.  I of course was ecstatic about the results & reassured my wife of the results.  Man what a last 6 days this has been.  I have thought of so many ways these results would effect my life & now my life is back to normal.  I sit her at midnight still thinking!!!!!  My thought these last 6 days have been of have I done everything in my life to let my loved ones know how much I love them?  What comes to mind mostly is a simpler way of life.  My wife & I choose to become nurses so we could work 3 days a week & have lots of time together.  I love the schedule we keep being home 4 days a week so we can be a part of our kids life is great.  It is just a shame that money/working means so much in our lives.  What could we do with another 36 hours to spend with our family?  How simpler could we live to not have the material things in life but be happy?  Is happiness going out buying a new Apple product or just "being" with our family?  I can tell you I am a simple man.   I work my three days a week, put my running clothes on frequently & have no other needs in life.  The time I spend with my family is the greatest thing in my life.  I read a article in the Denver Post a couple months ago about a author who had wrote some books & made a million dollars in his life by the time he was 30.  He then wanted to now if that money could last him the rest of his life without working.  His plan was to live off $10,000 per year.  At the time of the article he was mid forties & able to sustain a very happy life style on that amount of money.  He added a wife & two kids & had up his yearly salary to $17,000 for obvious reasons.  I know this man isn't out buying the newest gadgets on the market or living in a million dollar home but I bet you he is happy spending all of his time with his family.  I have talked about many times of taking a year off when I turn 50.  This might sound crazy to you but WHY NOT?  You still have your health to do things you want & I have heard of way to many people who work until they are 65 then retire & die before their able to do the things they want in retirement.  So in my mind this experience has just reinsured me that spending time with family is way more important then dollar bills.  No one knows what the future will bring so while I have my health I will be getting everything out of life I can.  One of my favorite quotes is this- "That, that does not kill you makes you stronger".  I know that I am stronger going through this but my thinking has changed a lot towards my life goals.  So for me chasing the million dollar dream is not as important as quality family time & great adventures along with great memories.
Stephen!

No comments:

Post a Comment