Saturday, August 10, 2013

Leadville 100 pre-thoughts!

     Well the long awaited Leadville 100 is less than a week away and I getting excited.  I know running 100 miles all above 10,000 ft with 18,000 ft of climb might not sound exciting to you but im ready.  I am ready in a couple different ways first is to get it over with, I have been training for this run since November 2012.  I am ready to get it over with and think about something else.  Another way I am ready is this is the first 100 miler I feel that I actually trained for and am going to kill it.  I know the miles and long runs I have put in the last 8 or so monthes and I excited to go out have a good time.  Another reason I am ready is the course is a out and back loop and out of the 50 miles I have ran 35 miles of it the other 15 miles being a rock road.  I have a great crew that's going to be with me this time also, from my best man at my wedding (Chris) to my pacer (Brian) who I will pick up with 25 or so miles left that will take me to finish.  My wife, two kids and Brian's wife will also be there.  We had orange t-shirts made for everyone in our crew to get in the spirit.  I have 3 days of work to do then its time to go acclimate at 10,000 from monday night till the race start saturday morning.  I hope to get up above 12,000 ft on some of the high mountain passes we can drive to then just hangout and enjoy the weather and lack of oxygen.  I have been putting multiple trips to Leadville to train on the course and I believe I am acclimated especially since I live at 6300 ft already but the last week up high will help out.  Anyone can go to the website during the race and send me a text like message talking shit or whatever.  It is crazy that with such a big race coming up I still can't help but think about next year and what I have planned.  Next year will be a time that I step away from alot of racing and concentrate on training for my main goal which is hiking the whole length of the 485 mile Colorado Trail.  It has been a trip my father and I have talked about for a few years and next year its go time.  We will leave from Waterton Canyon (Denver) on June 17 and I hope to average 37 miles per day and finish in 14 days in Durango Colorado.  More to come on that adventure but first I have a date in Leadville. 
Peace Stephen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment