Saturday, October 15, 2011

Race planning!

     Well it is Saturday morning October 15 and I should be running the Boulder 24 hour.  Well life has happened again & I am typing on the computer.  I am not running the race but am planning a running schedule to lead me to the Rock Canyon Half Marathon December 3.  The half marathon distance is very interesting distance, it is just long enough to test your endurance but short enough to test your speed.  It is also the perfect distance to train for in the Colorado winter.  Most of the runs will be less than 2 hours even the 15 mile long run I have planned.  I usually take the winter off but this year I am going to keep my miles up & increase them over time.  I am planning to run/hike the Katy Trail March 2012.  The trail is 238 miles long & I want to run/hike it in 4-5 days.  My father is on board & he will follow me with his camper & we will stay at trailheads.  The trail is a rail-trail which means they tore up old railroad tracks & made it a crushed rock trail.  The trail runs almost the width of Missouri & will give me a good reference for long days of running/hiking to see what I could possibly do hiking the whole Colorado Trail one day.  Hiking the Katy trail will also help with increasing my mileage to help with loner ultra races next year.  Kelley & I are looking at races we want to do next year probably some travel races in California and plenty of races around Colorado.  I have my ambitions of doing some ultras (Leadville 50 & 100 milers) next year along with Pikes Peak Ascent & Marathon.  The near future will have the Colorado Winter Series which includes 3 different races over a couple of months starting in December.  For now I am going to try to lower my PR's in the half marathon & shorter races this winter.  The race schedules will be coming soon so for now just enjoying the Colorado fall weather & running/hiking outside.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment