Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Final 100 Mile Run!

Well the Moab 100 once again didn't go my way. What can I say? I am not able to break through the mental barrier that I once could. During my first three 100 mile races I just pushed through the mental demons that talk to you at night time to finish, but the last two the demons have talked me into saying "I Quit". It is very hard for someone like me to take. I trained like never before & spent all the time away from my family & still did not finish. I had a very good race going up until 13 hours where my stomach disagreed with me & for the next two hours I couldn't control my vomiting. It was during the night time & I told my father who was with me, (who by the way did a great job) that I would want to lay down after my next lap which was 70 miles. It took me 90 minutes to do the lap & when I got back I was trashed. I was shivering uncontrollably & the vomiting continued. I laid in the back of the car & just thought about the race & what I could do next. Well I ended up stopping at that point. So 69.81 miles is what I completed. I got done in 15 hours & 15 minutes. So my father & I talked the whole 6 hours home about my running & I have decided not to attempt another 100 miler. I will do shorter races in the 12 hour to 100k (62m) range. Since I haven't been able to surpass the 70 mile mark then these distances will be perfect to do. It is a great challenge but it won't bypass my 70 mile mental block as to say. I want to thank everyone who has wished me good luck along the way leading up to my race especially my wife but hopefully next race report you see on this blog will read me finishing. Well have fun,
Stephen!

No comments:

Post a Comment